"The unexamined life is not worth living." -Socrates

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Hermeticism and The Kybalion

Hello Readers,

For the past year so, there came a point in my life when I felt that the religion, Christianity, just did not suite my needs spiritually. When I recently began diving into the studies of the occult ("knowledge of the hidden.") such as Freemasonry's philosophies and paganism ("a religion that is not Jewish, Christian, or Islamic") I found many similarities in the core of all religious doctrines and scriptures.

One in particular is the philosophy of Ancient Egypt, called Hermeticism. This philosophy is explained in a text called The Kybalion. Some of you reading may relate to what I'm talking about, having read it or heard of it before, but if you have not I challenge you to look into this philosophy and text and relate it to the core values that each religion teaches, many times through allegory.

Just keep in mind, it is not something you can dive right into and understand. This is no novel, it takes contemplation and as many suggest, meditation on it's material and message. I found it personally more refreshing and "to the source" with Life's Great Mysteries, "Where do we come from," and "What is my purpose here on Earth?" than through one standardized religious faith.

I hope you take up this challenge and get out of it as much as I have. I feel very enlightened after opening my mind to different spiritual outlooks and faiths, and have come to see the unity in all of them. Something that, with a lack of, has caused many wars and disputes over the span of history.

No comments: